Monday, December 19, 2005

Frozetodeath Pillar: FA "Ungoliant's Stair" (2,000', AI3+ 70°, M2, 5.6)
Decided to have another go at the Mystic Pillar, and quite glad I did. The route is big, but very moderate. It was quite cold at this elevation, -22°F below zero on the route, and for the first time I ever I recieved frostbite on a climb. Black skin, and today, blisters. I free-soloed the route in 2 hours 15 minutes with very poor snow conditions (14 hours car to car, but the approach was very very hard). If anyone out there knows anything about the face, please let me know. My hunch is that this would be an outstanding spring route.







5 Comments:

Blogger Nicholas said...

I just noticed on my self portrait, that there is a goat looking over my shoulder. Ha... Good company.

11:34 AM, December 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Winter climbing in the Beartooths is great sport but should be done with someone else for aid and support in the event of an avalanche or emergency. It will make it faster for me to get in, find you and aid in rescue. Dad

11:44 AM, December 24, 2005  
Blogger Master Aegidius said...

Hey, looks like you already got a partner- Mr. Oreamnos Americana!

Cool picture with the goat in the background!

11:46 AM, December 24, 2005  
Blogger Christian said...

Great shot of the goat! Was this intentional? And when exactly was this picture taken? Hope all is well...

5:02 PM, December 26, 2005  
Blogger Nicholas said...

Thanks Dad. I solo for my own reasons, which I will keep for a conversation over a Guiness sometime.

On the goat, I litterally had no idea he was standing behind me. I only noticed when I was optimizing the images for web the next morning. :-D

12:45 PM, December 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home