Thursday, December 08, 2005


Manifesto:

Ok. First, an admission... I hate blogging. In fact this blog may die a sad death before it ever leaves the screen in front of me. I look at the things I write and quickly retype them, disliking them into submission, sorting my mind for the written form that captures my slippery thoughts. Sorting. Undo. Sorting. Undo. And so the cursor chases its own tail. But to clarify my position on blogging, it strikes me as the perfect crystallization of the recklessly self-absorbed post modernist's ideals. Many a wordsmith has traveled down these paths before me with more skill and cunning then I could ever hope to present, and yet so many blogs are the same.

So why add to the digital heap? I'd rather not in typical fashion. It's not that I don’t want you know about the joys and woes of my life, it's that I would rather share a very special part of it with the sole intention of encouraging you to do more with your very own life, and in turn create something bigger perhaps that looks beyond the concave lens of my own eyes. Perhaps not unique enough to absolve me of my own criticism, but well intended nonetheless.

Here is what I will tell you. I am a mountain climber living in the age of comfort. Purposely avoiding those things that contain us whether by modern expectation, convenience, or convention. My hobby is called alpinism. And the region I practice this sordid mountain craft is known as the Beartooths of Montana. I am neither the most skilled nor dedicated. I simply pursue a life that is available to me to the best of my abilities with the resources I have within reach. I am not a dirt-bag climber living out of dumpsters. I lead a normal, sane life. I am fortunate to share life with a loving wife and child, two dogs, and a really big family.

So then, about Alpinism. The ideals are simple. Leave your expectations and baggage behind. Experience life for what it is, not what you expect it to be. Do more with less. Whether that be gear, comforts, or companionship, food, or even a clouded mind... learn the principle difference between completing a route and simply experiencing it for what it is. The rules? Equally simple. Life is full of absolutes, and a few well placed wild cards. Mountains are bigger then you and dictate the terms of your engagement at all times whether you realize it or not. You will never conquer a mountain. Flirt with its boundaries? Perhaps. If a rock falls on you, death may result. If enough snow falls on you, same deal. If you lead a uniquely insular, secure and digitally dictated life, it may take longer but the outcome is still the same.

The verdict? Don't worry about how many days you have, get out there and live the ones you've got. For me, it’s right here and right now.

Well then. Enough preaching. Enjoy the show, and never forget to live your own.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Your Mom said...

Well done Nicholas. The spirit of Alpinism captured in print and photos.

10:12 AM, December 12, 2005  
Blogger Nicholas said...

Awww shucks. Thanks Mom!

For those of you who dont know, my mom is a climber as well - I will be sure to post a photo after the holidays when we do a climb together.

10:26 AM, December 12, 2005  
Blogger gurlyclimber said...

WOW! I saw you Blog because you posted in mine! I've seen you before. Maybe it was climbing or maybe 1 of your photos. And that is awesome that your Mom climbs. She must be so proud. I hope when my boys are older that I get to see that I was successful at passing along my passion to them. CLIMB ON! Awesome photos! That ice is gorgeous!

Tracy

4:29 PM, December 12, 2005  
Blogger Nicholas said...

Thanks Tracy. My Mom, and myself, got a pretty late start in climbing. I come from a very big family, and we all have a very intense mountain oriented streak in us that actually goes back many generations on both sides of the family.

1:14 PM, December 13, 2005  
Anonymous Robbie said...

This is a good looking site Nicholas. The pictures are framable and the information is well done. You make me jealous, reminding me of what Im missing.

4:03 PM, December 13, 2005  
Blogger Erik said...

Wow, Nicholas; great stuff. I only regret that before you left Tacoma I never took you out climbing, or did I. Anyhow, I can't even remember the last time I went climbing. It seems like such a distant life from what is going on now. I do miss climbing from time to time and perhaps the thousands of dollars of gear is slowly going to waste. But, alas, I did fill it up with something else. It seems that as kite boarding came into my life, climbing went out. Long gone are the days of toil and strain in the mountains. They have been turned over to drinking morning coffee on the beach waiting for wind to come and then it's on. The craze, the lust, the addiction for the adrenaline I get from sending that kite up and flying up into the air. Perhaps it's that I am flirting with a new sensation, the only true non-gravity based sport I have ever done. The power of the kite at my fingertips beckons me to send it again for another jump. Anyhow, dreams still live on and perhaps one day I'll climb again. Who knows, maybe I'll get into climbing again when our boat reaches the shores of the Galapagos Islands as we sail around the world. Always keeping that next adventure out in my to do list. Good luck and safe climbing buddy.

12:34 PM, December 16, 2005  
Blogger Nicholas said...

Hey Erik! Man it's been ages! How did you find my blog? I remember you being a big wall climber, and then getting into kitting. I will be in the NW next week, you still in town? And ehh, what about all that gear you used to have? I'm always on the look out for retired stashes. :D

5:22 PM, December 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home