Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The time was 1:20am on Saturday the 7th of January, and I was awake in my bed. Looking at the ceiling, with an intense mind that would not let me rest, because I knew that I simply must see the sunrise from one of my favorite spots in the Beartooths, the Hellroaring Plateau. By 2:00am I was on the highway on my way to the Hellroaring road, where I would ski through deep snow for 7 miles up an old mining road in a race to 11,500' to beat the pending sunrise. My prize? A fresh cup of coffee, and a view like this:

4 Comments:

Blogger Christian said...

Gorgeous. Make's me wish I was home rather than here in Philly. What direction are you facing here? And what exactly are you looking at? I suspect this is actually looking to the southwest up the canyone towards Glacier Lake, yes?

5:32 PM, January 12, 2006  
Blogger Nicholas said...

Yeah. Just over the side of the Plateau. Glaciear Lake would be further to your right in this photo.

1:22 PM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger Roudy said...

Wow, that is pretty hard-core, dude. Props. I did Rearguard with Anya last summer...it really is a beautiful place. Amazing photo.

3:20 PM, February 02, 2006  
Blogger Nicholas said...

Roudy - I think Joel told me you and Anya wound up at Glacier lake after starting from Hellroaring? And then went back up to Reargaurd through Shelf and Moon? Heh - thats hard core.

1:09 PM, February 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home